i have always been one to add more – even double – when a recipe calls for garlic. so why am i even considering a life without garlic? our little one currently has a garlic allergy — unfortunately it is the worst of … Continue reading pasta with garlic free stovetop tomato sauce
since i wanted to use up ingredients in the fridge, this recipe was perfect. pasta with beans, chicken and veggies. i lowered the chicken from 3 breasts to 1. then i bumped up the veggies, using up the remaining onion and mushrooms. yay!
- 3 oz whole wheat pasta, penne or your favorite shaped pasta
- 1 chicken breast, pounded to 1/4″ thickness
- sea salt and pepper
- 1-1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) cannellini beans, rinsed
- 1/4 cup diced fresh or roasted red pepper
- 1/8 onion, thinly sliced
- 5 cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 6 cups baby spinach leaves
- 1/2 jalapeño, diced, optional
- 3 teaspoon grated parmesan, optional
Preparation Continue reading “tuscan chicken pasta”
another simple lunch recipe is a spinach and turkey wrap. pile on the veggies and turkey on a tortilla or crepe and wrap. it’s so yummy!
the original recipes has the spinach and mushrooms cooked but you can also eat them fresh like i did. i also threw in a few more vegetables, including bell pepper and onion. lightly toast it to melt cheese or don’t – that’s up to you! either way, it’s healthy, delicious and easy to make!
- 2 premade crêpes – or –
2 whole wheat flour tortilla wrap
- 2 oz fresh cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 oz fresh baby spinach
- 1/2 colored bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 thin slice of onion
- 2 (1-oz) slices lean turkey breast
- 2 tablespoons shredded low-fat Monterey Jack cheese or your favorite low fat cheese – dairy or non dairy options
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme (optional)
Preparation Continue reading “spinach & turkey wrap”
japanese way of making breaded meat is a three step dipping process: pat with flour, dip in egg and then coat with panko crumbs. Women’s Health way is just one step: coat with bread crumb mixture. they both work and have similar results in taste.
here is a simplified chicken parm recipe with spinach. i finished it as quickly as i made it. enjoy!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 2 tablespoons italian seasoned bread crumbs – or –
2 tablespoons whole wheat bread crumbs + 1 tsp italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons grated parmesan, optional
- 1-2 cups low sodium marinara sauce
- 6 small clove garlic, crushed
- 6 handfuls baby spinach leaves
- sea salt and pepper, to taste
Preparation Continue reading “chicken spinach parm”
i have probably thrown together a pasta dish with chicken, mushroom and spinach in tomato sauce before but this recipe shows how additional spices and ingredients can surprise your taste buds.
i wouldn’t have imagined adding thyme, orange juice and orange zest to a pasta dish but it definitely ups your flavor palette without adding much cooking time.
- 8 ounces whole wheat fusilli, penne or your favorite pasta shape
- 6 ounces or 1/3 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2″ cubes
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 can (15 ounces) crushed tomatoes in puree
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/2 cup dry-packed sun-dried tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 6 ounces organic baby spinach
- sea salt, to taste
- crushed red pepper, to taste
Preparation Continue reading “pasta with chicken marengo”
seasoned dry tofu is pretty yummy. it’s also a great substitute for your meat or protein because it’s chewy and dense. you probably can’t find them in a regular supermarket but they are pretty easy to find in an asian grocery store.
my gf introduced me to this salad dressing: Annie’s Organic Asian Sesame dressing and it is delish! together with dry tofu, veggies and a little flaxseed, it creates a yummy and healthy salad.
- 2 ounce seasoned dry tofu
- 1 small color bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1-1/2 cups organic baby spinach – or –
1-1/2 cups green leafy vegetablet
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 1 persian cucumber, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 1-1/2 tablespoons dressing ~try Annie’s Organic Asian Sesame dressing
- 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil*
- 1 tablespoon dry seaweed flakes, optional
Preparation Continue reading “seasoned dry tofu salad”
cooking a meal with aluminum foil is such an easy and delicious method. fish and veggies … i also added enoki mushrooms, which is perfect for this dish.
it is such a nice lovely fish dish. give it a try!
- 6 cups baby spinach
- 1/2 color bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 3 ounces enoki mushrooms
- 2 snapper fillets (4-6 ounces each)
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons pesto *contains nuts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Preparation Continue reading “steamed snapper with pesto”