the first time i heard of “American” vs “non-American” fried rice was at a restaurant in chinatown near a previous workplace. when i placed the order, the person asked if i wanted American flavor vs. non-American flavor. i never thought of it that way but i have tried to make fried rice on my own and it always amused me that it never tasted the same way as chinese take-out places.
m loves fried rice and while prepping our meal for the night, m decided to make some. to make sure k can have some we picked only ingredients that she can eat. m doesn’t add salt or pepper so add to your own taste!
- 5 cups day-old cooked brown rice
- 2 cups broccoli, chopped into bite-sized florets
- 1 cup organic sweet bell pepper, chopped into bites
- ½ lb organic firm tofu, cut into ½ inch cubes
- 1 cup shiitake mushrooms, chopped into bites
- 1 Tbsp oil
- water, as needed
- salt and pepper, to taste