the first time i heard of “American” vs “non-American” fried rice was at a restaurant in chinatown near a previous workplace. when i placed the order, the person asked if i wanted American flavor vs. non-American flavor. i never thought of it that way but i have tried to make fried rice on my own and it always amused me that it never tasted the same way as chinese take-out places.
m loves fried rice and while prepping our meal for the night, m decided to make some. to make sure k can have some we picked only ingredients that she can eat. m doesn’t add salt or pepper so add to your own taste!
- 5 cups day-old cooked brown rice
- 2 cups broccoli, chopped into bite-sized florets
- 1 cup organic sweet bell pepper, chopped into bites
- ½ lb organic firm tofu, cut into ½ inch cubes
- 1 cup shiitake mushrooms, chopped into bites
- 1 Tbsp oil
- water, as needed
- salt and pepper, to taste
Continue reading “recipe: m’s non-American fried rice”
for a fun appetizer with friends on new year’s eve, this was a very easy and tasty treat.
- 2 packages (8oz size) cream cheese, softened
- 8 whole burrito-sized flour tortillas
- 1 whole yellow bell pepper, seeded and diced finely
- 1 whole red bell pepper, seeded and diced finely
- 1 whole green bell pepper, seeded and diced finely
Continue reading “recipe: colorful tortilla rolls”
after making my own tomato sauce, i had no problem making my own pizza sauce! now to make some zucchini pizza bites! cooking tools medium saucepan food processor liquid storage containers ingredients 10 organic Roma tomatoes 1 large organic sweet bell peppers, diced 2 Tbsp … Continue reading recipe: garlic free pizza sauce
instead of searching for gluten free vegan lasagna, i substituted the pasta for eggplant. it was heartwarming to see m and k eat it all up! i usually don’t are for eggplant but i enjoyed it as a substitute for pasta.
- mixing bowl
- 9″ oval stoneware baking pan
Continue reading “recipe: pasta-less garlic free eggplant lasagna”
i never had any interest in making my own tomato sauce before but since the little one has a garlic allergy, i needed to learn. online i found a flexible recipe that allows you to add any ingredient you choose. it was perfect for those with allergies.
- 2 large organic tomatoes (or ~ 10 Romas)
- 1 organic red sweet bell peppers, diced fairly small
- 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning – or –
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp thyme
Continue reading “recipe: garlic free stovetop tomato sauce”