i recently watched Forks Over Knives and am hoping to adopt a more plant-based diet for the family. while looking at the recipes on Dr. T. Colin Campbell Center for Nutrition Studies‘ website, i found this recipe that worked well with the leftovers from taco night a few days ago. it was a win win. Continue reading “recipe: black beans and greens over rice”
like many others sometimes we go out to eat and we think to ourselves: “so expensive! i could have made it myself!” but the thing is, we don’t always have the time. however, when you do have the time and can make something, i.e. a homemade breakfast, yourself, it sure is worth it!
this morning, it was buttered white toast, jalapeño chicken sausage, strawberries with my corn mash potatoes and veggie omelette. yum!!!
since i had some extra crab from the avocado crab salsa, i looked for another recipe to try and found this one online. it looked so good that i had to try it! i wanted to share it with k so instead … Continue reading recipe: tomato, corn, crab and avocado salad
since it’s just a salsa, i used it as a topping for the quinoa enchilada casserole i made as the main course for dinner. the two dishes worked so well together … it was MFEO! Continue reading “recipe: avocado crab salsa”
i picked up some black beans recently and went online to find a fun dish and this was it! packed with protein, vegetables and omegas. yum!
since i was also making an avocado crab salsa, i thought the flavors would work really well together so i mixed ’em up. YUMMY!
- 1 medium saucepan
- 1 2qt baking dish
- baking dish cover – or – aluminum foil
for christmas m & i collaborated on our family dinner. i made the side dishes, m made the main dish and i decorated a cute fruity dessert with family bringing chocolate and cake. we a barely felt the limitations of feeding … Continue reading christmas dinner 2014
it is my first attempt of seasoning k’s food and when better than for a happy holiday occasion? italian seasoning seems like a safe bet. hope k likes it!
- 1 cup steamed broccoli
- ¾ cup boiled corn
- 1 cup steamed sweet potato / yam
- 1 Tbsp italian seasoning (i.e. mix of basil, oregano and thyme)
sometimes when i’m in the mood for a snack, i make a quick dish that has flavor and texture. corn and broccoli with butter – how can you go wrong? it’s better than chips and candy but is also satisfying and filling. yum!
- 1/2 bag of frozen organic corn
- 1 bunch of broccoli, cut (approximately 2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon whipped butter
- salt and pepper, to taste
Preparation Continue reading “corn and broccoli w butter”
when you go to diners and restaurants, the ingredients in a cobb salad vary. my favorite is from a diner in midtown east. but what makes their salad the best is their house dressing. love it!
so, when i was in the neighborhood recently, i had a salad there and i asked for some extra dressing and made my own cobb salad with my favorite veggies and protien. making your own is the best!
- 2 persian cucumbers, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 medium colored bell pepper
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 10 ounces organic spinach, thoroughly washed
- 1/4 ripe avocado, sliced
- 1 cup corn
- 2 hard boiled eggs, whites only – cut into bite size pieces
- 1 cup grilled chicken, thinly sliced ~optional
- 1/4 cup of your favorite dressing, i.e. house dressing from Palace Restaurant
Preparation Continue reading “cobb salad”
as more studies are done on genetically modified foods, more health risks are learned. a natural insecticide, Bacillus thuringiensis (Bt), used to genetically modify corn produces a protein that when absorbed by humans results in detectable levels of toxins are found in the blood of pregnant and non-pregnant women. lab research shows that this toxin has toxic effects on human kidney cells. it doesn’t seem like this issue has been raised to an alarming level yet as it is very hard to find organic corn. but there are a few places, i.e trader joe’s frozen section has Organic Super Sweet … Continue reading buy organic corn
another favorite – guacamole! why not throw in more delicious and healthy ingredients to bump up this yummy snack? corn, beans, bell pepper and tomatoes. YUM!
- 2 ripe avocados, seeded, peeled, and diced
- 1 (15-ounce) can corn, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 color bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 plum tomato, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeño peppers, seeded and minced
- freshly squeezed lime juice (1/2 lime)
- sea salt and ground black pepper
Preparation Continue reading “guacamole corn salad”
when searching for recipes with brussels sprouts, it is hard to find one without bacon. at first i skipped them but since there are so few, i started looking recipes with bacon but has other ingredients i like.
so, here is aaron mccargo Jr.’s roasted corn and brussels sprouts dish, done my way! i skipped the bacon and added a little more oil and then to bump up the flavor, i went a different route by adding red chili flakes.
the result is an AMAZING vegetarian meal – crunchy brussels sprouts, sweet corn and soft white beans dressed with fresh flavors of thyme, parsley and lime and a hint of spice. this will definitely be a recipe i will make again and again!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 3 shallots, sliced
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, outer leaves peeled, halved
- 1 (16-ounce) bag frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 1 (15-ounce) can white beans, drained
- 4 plum tomatoes, seeded and finely diced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Pinch salt
- Pinch freshly cracked black pepper
- Squeeze fresh lemon or lime juice