so m and i stopped at Le Pain Quotidien for dinner and m gets a prosciutto, fig and pear tartine with ricotta, honey and wild arugula. standard to have your child try new things is introduce one new thing at a time for 3 days straight and observe any changes.
we’ve introduced a variety of cheeses, arugula and pear but there were several new ingredients: prosciutto, fig and honey. taking a step away from being the neurotic parents with a child with food allergies, we let our little one take a bite. k enjoyed it very much! Continue reading “recipe: fig and prosciutto sandwich”
i don’t love the places in my neighborhood for breakfast. since i had a little time, i made it myself! this time a breakfast sandwich – a little quicker than an omelette with sides – a sausage with vegetable omelette and a side of mashed potatoes.
- 2 medium mixing bowl
- potato masher
- 1 medium frying pan
- 1 large frying pan
ingredients Continue reading “homemade breakfast sandwich”
burgers happen to be something that our whole family can eat together despite k’s allergies. so it was a easy Fourth of July meal: easy peasy burgers and grilled vegetable skewers!
- frying pan
- wood skewers – and/or –
- circle cookie cutter
ingredients Continue reading “Fourth of July – basic burger & veggie skewers”
i don’t usually partake in TBT but since it’s PBJ day (April 2nd), i changed it to TB…P(regnancy) since there was a whole lot of PBJ consumption! Ingredients 2 slices of 100% whole wheat toast *see note 1 1 to 2 tablespoons unsalted peanut butter *see note 2 1 tablespoon jam *see note 3 1/2 – 1 organic banana, long thick slices Preparation lightly toast your multigrain bread spread peanut butter on one slice of toast. spread jam on the side of the second slice of toast. notes my favorites: bread: Trader Joe’s 100% Whole Grain Multigrain Fiber (6 grams) Bread peanut butter: Trader Joe’s Unsalted Crunchy … Continue reading PBJ day combo: TJ unsalted crunch peanut butter with mix of 2 Sarabeth’s preserves
for a fun appetizer with friends on new year’s eve, this was a very easy and tasty treat.
- 2 packages (8oz size) cream cheese, softened
- 8 whole burrito-sized flour tortillas
- 1 whole yellow bell pepper, seeded and diced finely
- 1 whole red bell pepper, seeded and diced finely
- 1 whole green bell pepper, seeded and diced finely
Continue reading “recipe: colorful tortilla rolls”
another simple lunch recipe is a spinach and turkey wrap. pile on the veggies and turkey on a tortilla or crepe and wrap. it’s so yummy!
the original recipes has the spinach and mushrooms cooked but you can also eat them fresh like i did. i also threw in a few more vegetables, including bell pepper and onion. lightly toast it to melt cheese or don’t – that’s up to you! either way, it’s healthy, delicious and easy to make!
- 2 premade crêpes – or –
2 whole wheat flour tortilla wrap
- 2 oz fresh cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 oz fresh baby spinach
- 1/2 colored bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 thin slice of onion
- 2 (1-oz) slices lean turkey breast
- 2 tablespoons shredded low-fat Monterey Jack cheese or your favorite low fat cheese – dairy or non dairy options
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme (optional)
Preparation Continue reading “spinach & turkey wrap”
when you want a simple no-cooking lunch, don’t buy it – do it yourself and save money! wrap, layer and roll. the original recipe included cheese and olives which gives it a mediterranean flavor but kept it simple. the hummus has so much flavor that i topped it with extra vegetables instead.
enjoy this yummy vegetarian wrap – several times a week by shaking it up with different vegetables, like baby spinach, micro greens, mushrooms – whatever you have in your fridge!
- 1 9″ round spinach wrap or whole wheat flour tortilla
- 1/4 cup hummus
- 1/2 cup persian cucumber strips, sliced lengthwise
- 1/4 cup shredded carrots
- 1/4 cup colored bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 thin slice of onions
Preparation Continue reading “hummus & veggie wrap”
i love meals in lettuce wraps and this is no exception. the best part of this dish is the sauce – the crazy combination of chili sauce, fish oil and lime juice is amazing! the sauce goes perfectly with the steak and all the fresh vegetables with it makes it such an addictive dish that it’s hard to stop eating. Y-U-M!
- 12 ounce grass-fed flank, skirt, or sirloin steak
- sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 carrot, peeled and grated
- 1/2 cup colored bell pepper
- 1 head Bibb or Romaine lettuce, washed and dried, leaves separated
Chili lime sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili sauce (we like sriracha)
- 2 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 lime, juiced
Preparation Continue reading “thai beef lettuce wrap”
for a simple light meal, go vegetarian with a bean and cheese burrito.
- 1 8-inch whole wheat flour tortilla
- 1/2 cup organic black beans
- 1 ounce low fat cheddar – or –
1 ounce skim or part skim mozzarella cheese – or –
1 ounce soy cheese
- 1/4 tomato, diced
- 1/4 avocado chopped
- 1 tablespoon salsa
Preparation Continue reading “bean and cheese burrito”
________________________________________________________________________________ look for the Milk Truck Grilled Cheese mobile truck in various locations, ny Continue reading nothing simple about a great grilled cheese at Milk Truck
i used to love going to small taco places and my favorite concoction was chicken fajita and guacamole. so i decided to make it myself!
the combination of chicken fajita and guacamole is perfect – i love it!
- 1 small avocado
- 1 plum tomato
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 4 ounce chicken breast
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 colored bell pepper, cut into long thin slices
- 1/2 medium onion, cut into long thin slices
- 5 crimini mushrooms, cut into thin slices
- sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup shredded jalapeno jack cheese – or – other cheese of your preference
- 4 medium whole wheat tortilla
Preparation Continue reading “chicken fajita and guacamole taco”
as i was reorganizing my spice drawer, i found a recipe on a new bottle of McCormick crushed red pepper for chicken quesadilla. it looked so simple that i just had to give it a try! when i made the chicken quesadilla, i tried to give it a healthier kick by adding a few additional ingredients: an extra cup of veggies, 2 teaspoons of turmeric and 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseed. in addition, i chose whole wheat flour tortillas. these little changes didn’t add time or change the flavor of this yummy healthy chicken quesadilla. give it a try! Ingredients … Continue reading healthy chicken quesadillas