since the little one can’t have garlic, m & i don’t keep fresh garlic in the house anymore. common foods, including tomato sauce and snacks, that often include garlic we try to keep sealed or don’t eat when k is around.
so i wanted to have a quick meal the other day and was going to just have some pasta and tomato sauce. i ran out of tomato sauce and didn’t have any garlic. i was baffled for a little while. then i realized what would be the most basic sauce: butter! so, i just boiled some pasta, steamed some broccoli and shrimp, then added a pat of butter and tossed it. yum!
ingredients Continue reading “recipe: spaghetti with broccoli and shrimp in butter”
a fun simple recipe that is easily adjustable to various food preferences and restrictions! cooking tools baking pan cooling rack aluminum foil ingredients 1 to 2 large organic zucchini (sliced in ¼ inch slices) garlic free pizza sauce 2 oz shredded organic … Continue reading recipe: zucchini pizza bites
after making my own tomato sauce, i had no problem making my own pizza sauce! now to make some zucchini pizza bites! cooking tools medium saucepan food processor liquid storage containers ingredients 10 organic Roma tomatoes 1 large organic sweet bell peppers, diced 2 Tbsp … Continue reading recipe: garlic free pizza sauce
instead of searching for gluten free vegan lasagna, i substituted the pasta for eggplant. it was heartwarming to see m and k eat it all up! i usually don’t are for eggplant but i enjoyed it as a substitute for pasta.
- mixing bowl
- 9″ oval stoneware baking pan
Continue reading “recipe: pasta-less garlic free eggplant lasagna”
i have always been one to add more – even double – when a recipe calls for garlic. so why am i even considering a life without garlic? our little one currently has a garlic allergy — unfortunately it is the worst of … Continue reading pasta with garlic free stovetop tomato sauce
i never had any interest in making my own tomato sauce before but since the little one has a garlic allergy, i needed to learn. online i found a flexible recipe that allows you to add any ingredient you choose. it was perfect for those with allergies.
- 2 large organic tomatoes (or ~ 10 Romas)
- 1 organic red sweet bell peppers, diced fairly small
- 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning – or –
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp thyme
Continue reading “recipe: garlic free stovetop tomato sauce”
here’s a simple spicy (but not hot) pasta and chicken dish with my fav pasta: angel hair. i threw in some extra red bell pepper and also added some turmeric.
i had it over two servings of broccoli lightly blanched. yum!
- 4-1/2 oz angel hair pasta, uncooked
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon flour
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 lb chicken breast tenders
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 1-1/2 cups low sodium spaghetti sauce
Preparation Continue reading “spicy chicken and pasta”
i tried this recipe last week but didn’t love it bcuz i felt it lacked flavor. looking back at the recipe, i realized i forgot the basil and cheese! i also think the additional stock and pasta water in the original recipe diluted the flavor.
so i tried it again and loved it!
without the additional liquid, the garlic flavor popped. basil was also a key ingredient. it created an awesome mix of flavors! the cheese, however, is completely optional. i liked it with and without. so try it with cheese once and without cheese another time!
- 3 ounces whole wheat spaghetti
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 small red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 6 ounces haricot vertes, cut in half
- 1/2 cup artichoke hearts, quartered
- 1/4 cup slivered fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon grated parmesan or romano cheese
- freshly ground black pepper
- sea salt, to taste
Preparation Continue reading “whole wheat pasta with vegetable”
since i wanted to use up ingredients in the fridge, this recipe was perfect. pasta with beans, chicken and veggies. i lowered the chicken from 3 breasts to 1. then i bumped up the veggies, using up the remaining onion and mushrooms. yay!
- 3 oz whole wheat pasta, penne or your favorite shaped pasta
- 1 chicken breast, pounded to 1/4″ thickness
- sea salt and pepper
- 1-1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) cannellini beans, rinsed
- 1/4 cup diced fresh or roasted red pepper
- 1/8 onion, thinly sliced
- 5 cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 6 cups baby spinach leaves
- 1/2 jalapeño, diced, optional
- 3 teaspoon grated parmesan, optional
Preparation Continue reading “tuscan chicken pasta”
haven’t had shrimp in a while so i was looking forward to trying this recipe.
the recipe is pretty easy. the only cooking is boiling the pasta, shrimp and broccoli. the dressing is just a few spices. after that, throw everything into a bowl and mix!
it’s such a light but filling healthy meal. it’s also a good meal to eat room temperature or cold. make a little extra to save for tomorrow’s lunch!
- 8 ounces cooked shrimp
- 8 ounces whole-wheat elbow macaroni, fusilli or favorite shaped pasta
- 2 cups steamed broccoli
- 1 cup sun-dried tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 cup colored bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1-1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1-1/2 tsp oregano
- sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
Preparation Continue reading “shrimp and broccoli pasta salad”
i have probably thrown together a pasta dish with chicken, mushroom and spinach in tomato sauce before but this recipe shows how additional spices and ingredients can surprise your taste buds.
i wouldn’t have imagined adding thyme, orange juice and orange zest to a pasta dish but it definitely ups your flavor palette without adding much cooking time.
- 8 ounces whole wheat fusilli, penne or your favorite pasta shape
- 6 ounces or 1/3 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2″ cubes
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 can (15 ounces) crushed tomatoes in puree
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/2 cup dry-packed sun-dried tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 6 ounces organic baby spinach
- sea salt, to taste
- crushed red pepper, to taste
Preparation Continue reading “pasta with chicken marengo”
sometimes you’re just in the mood for a big bowl of ramen and that’s what you’ll get at Sapporo. all of the ramen noodles are in chicken and vegetable stock soup. we tried 4 different ramen bowls: Sapporo Special: noodles in miso flavored soup with extra portion of sliced pork, mined pork, fishcake, bean sprout corn, scallions and spinach Miso Ramen: noodles in soybean flavored soup with sliced pork, minced pork, fishcake, been sprout, corn and scallions Mabo Ramen: spicy miso chili sauce with tofu beancurd and minced pork Tan-Tan Men: noodles in sesame flavored soup with minced pork, spinach, … Continue reading slurp up the noodles at sapporo