i was finally going to share dumplings with my little one and i was so excited! so i created a special filling with pork, vegetables and chives. instead of using eggs to bind the mix together, i used ground flax. it was a great mixture of ingredients. Continue reading “recipe: pork dumplings in bánh tráng / rice wrapper”
i don’t love the places in my neighborhood for breakfast. since i had a little time, i made it myself! this time a breakfast sandwich – a little quicker than an omelette with sides – a sausage with vegetable omelette and a side of mashed potatoes.
- 2 medium mixing bowl
- potato masher
- 1 medium frying pan
- 1 large frying pan
ingredients Continue reading “homemade breakfast sandwich”
burgers happen to be something that our whole family can eat together despite k’s allergies. so it was a easy Fourth of July meal: easy peasy burgers and grilled vegetable skewers!
- frying pan
- wood skewers – and/or –
- circle cookie cutter
like many others sometimes we go out to eat and we think to ourselves: “so expensive! i could have made it myself!” but the thing is, we don’t always have the time. however, when you do have the time and can make something, i.e. a homemade breakfast, yourself, it sure is worth it!
this morning, it was buttered white toast, jalapeño chicken sausage, strawberries with my corn mash potatoes and veggie omelette. yum!!!
i picked up some black beans recently and went online to find a fun dish and this was it! packed with protein, vegetables and omegas. yum!
since i was also making an avocado crab salsa, i thought the flavors would work really well together so i mixed ’em up. YUMMY!
- 1 medium saucepan
- 1 2qt baking dish
- baking dish cover – or – aluminum foil
m bought a whole lot of potatoes for our holiday meals so i was trying to figure out what to do with them all! i found a recipe for a baked potato and chicken casserole *see note 1. at first … Continue reading recipe: cheesy potato and tofu casserole
for a fun appetizer with friends on new year’s eve, this was a very easy and tasty treat.
- 2 packages (8oz size) cream cheese, softened
- 8 whole burrito-sized flour tortillas
- 1 whole yellow bell pepper, seeded and diced finely
- 1 whole red bell pepper, seeded and diced finely
- 1 whole green bell pepper, seeded and diced finely
i love caprese salad when i go to italian restaurants and when i found this recipe, i looked forward to giving it a try. i usually don’t have it with avocado but it was a nice touch to a favorite … Continue reading recipe: avocado caprese salad
for christmas m & i collaborated on our family dinner. i made the side dishes, m made the main dish and i decorated a cute fruity dessert with family bringing chocolate and cake. we a barely felt the limitations of feeding … Continue reading christmas dinner 2014
i tried this recipe last week but didn’t love it bcuz i felt it lacked flavor. looking back at the recipe, i realized i forgot the basil and cheese! i also think the additional stock and pasta water in the original recipe diluted the flavor.
so i tried it again and loved it!
without the additional liquid, the garlic flavor popped. basil was also a key ingredient. it created an awesome mix of flavors! the cheese, however, is completely optional. i liked it with and without. so try it with cheese once and without cheese another time!
- 3 ounces whole wheat spaghetti
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 small red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 6 ounces haricot vertes, cut in half
- 1/2 cup artichoke hearts, quartered
- 1/4 cup slivered fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon grated parmesan or romano cheese
- freshly ground black pepper
- sea salt, to taste
another simple lunch recipe is a spinach and turkey wrap. pile on the veggies and turkey on a tortilla or crepe and wrap. it’s so yummy!
the original recipes has the spinach and mushrooms cooked but you can also eat them fresh like i did. i also threw in a few more vegetables, including bell pepper and onion. lightly toast it to melt cheese or don’t – that’s up to you! either way, it’s healthy, delicious and easy to make!
- 2 premade crêpes – or –
2 whole wheat flour tortilla wrap
- 2 oz fresh cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 oz fresh baby spinach
- 1/2 colored bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 thin slice of onion
- 2 (1-oz) slices lean turkey breast
- 2 tablespoons shredded low-fat Monterey Jack cheese or your favorite low fat cheese – dairy or non dairy options
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme (optional)
Preparation Continue reading “spinach & turkey wrap”
i love pizza. almost exclusively i love tomato based pizza. until now.
when i saw the ingredients for this pizza, it had a lot of flavors i liked so i thought i’d give it a try. i made a few adjustments in ingredients: lowering the chicken but bumping up the vegetables with onions and mushrooms.
it was spectacular! the pesto was a great flavor base and artichoke – what a surprise! – with the rest of the vegetables? the ingredients just married so well together. i had almost half of the pizza that night! you’ve got to give this recipe a try but don’t blame me if you finish the whole pie!
- 1 12″ prebaked pizza shell
- 1/3 cup prepared pesto
- 1/3 cup cooked chicken cut, shredded small strips
- 1 fresh or roasted color bell pepper, cut into small thin strips
- 1/2 cup water-packed canned artichoke hearts, rinsed and drained, patted dry and quartered
- 1/2 cup onions, chopped
- 1 cup cremini mushrooms, thin slices
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded fat free mozzarella cheese
Preparation Continue reading “chicken pesto pizza”