sometimes little one thinks she is eating turkey when it’s chicken. although i don’t know if i really can tell the difference, i figured i’d make little one something with turkey this week so i picked up some ground turkey and found a turkey meatloaf recipe … but … i misread the instructions … and ended up with sloppy joe!
just as well! last week at little one’s school, they made sloppy joe so i was going to try making it for little one anyway so i just ended up doing it now 🙂 i substituted Worcestershire sauce for tamari sauce and left out the garlic to accommodate my little one’s allergies. to give extra flavor, i cooked the quinoa in vegetable stock instead of water.
since i already know the flavor is good, i’ll try this again another time, following directions of the original recipe to shape it into meatloaf. looking forward to it!
- frying pan
- ¼ quinoa
- ½ vegetable stock
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 package ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste -or-
1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons gluten free tamari sauce
- 1 ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- bring the quinoa and stock a boil in a saucepan over high heat. reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the quinoa is tender, and the liquid has been absorbed, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. stir in the onion; cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes.
- stir the turkey, cooked quinoa, onions, tomato paste, tamari sauce, salt, and pepper.
- cook until mixture is not pink and flavors have been mixed well.
- when ready to eat, put half of bun on a plate and top with the sloppy joe mixture.
1. resource – allrecipes: Turkey and Quinoa Meatloaf