another dish in the Kitchens of India Just Heat & Eat family: Dal Bukhara / Black Gram Lentils Curry.
if you asked me a few years ago to eat lentils, i’d say “no thank you!” but since i’ve been cooking for k, and i see how much she likes it, i have been more receptive to foods i previously avoided.
so, with a package of Dal Bukhara, some grain – today i made a huge put of millet so that is the grain for the day – and lots of vegetables: asparagus, bell peppers, tomatoes and spinach! i am SO full!
- 1 package Kitchens of India Just Heat & Eat – Dal Bukhara
- 2 to 3 cups of grain: i.e.:
– rice (day-old rice ok too!) – or –
– quinoa – or –
- 1 to 2 cups of water
- 3 to 4 cups of vegetables, chopped into bite-sized pieces
– color bell pepper
-or- any old vegetables!
- 1 tsp to 1 Tbsp turmeric
- in a medium saucepan or le creuset pot, empty contents of the package. add water and boil at medium heat.
- when boiling, lower temperature to low and add rice or grain. break down any clumps, if necessary. heat for 15 minutes.
- add vegetables and boil until vegetables are cooked and the rice has softened.
- add turmeric and stir.
- serve hot.
product website: Kitchens of India