i am a big fan of stuffed peppers so when i saw this recipe it was a no brainer – i had to try it and it was awesome!
- small saucepan
- large saucepan
- loaf pan for 3 peppers or large baking pan for more
- ⅔ cup quinoa, uncooked
- 2 cups water
- ½ can black beans, rinsed and drained (about 1 cup or so)
- 1 organic carrot, shredded
- 2 organic celery stalks, finely diced
- 5 to 7 small cremini mushrooms, chopped into small bits
- ½ cup GMO free corn
- 2 cup garlic free tomato sauce
- salt & pepper, optional
- ⅛ tsp cayenne pepper, optional
- 3 to 7 organic sweet bell peppers, any color
- 1/4 to 1 cup organic cheese, shredded – any kind
- preheat oven to 350°F. line a muffin pan with parchment paper, set aside.
- in a small saucepan, cook quinoa in a pot per directions until done. set aside.
- in a large saucepan add vegetables and tomato sauce and cook over medium heat until veggies are soft and mixture is heated through, about 10-15 minutes.
- stir in cooked quinoa and mix. add salt, pepper and cayenne pepper, if desired.
- cut tops off of peppers and fill each pepper with cooked quinoa mixture.
- bake at 350 for 35 – 45 minutes until pepper is browned around the top and has softened.
- serve hot.
- save remaining filling as future dish with our without pepper!
1. original recipe from Joe and Sue: Quinoa Stuffed Peppers