m bought a whole lot of potatoes for our holiday meals so i was trying to figure out what to do with them all! i found a recipe for a baked potato and chicken casserole *see note 1. at first i was going to make the recipe with a few tweaks but then i looked in my fridge and decided to change it up a bit: instead of chicken i added tofu and instead of scallions i added a green vegetable: i.e. asparagus or broccoli. i toned down the heavy cream and butter to whole milk and added some flax meal. voila: a baked potato and tofu casserole!
- casserole dish
- 2 medium russet potatoes, scrubbed and diced
- 1 lb organic firm tofu, diced
- green vegetable: i.e.
½ lb asparagus, chopped into bits – or –
1 cup broccoli, cut into bite sized florets
- ½ cup ground flaxseed
- 1½ cups shredded organic cheese (cheddar or cheese blend)
- ½ cup whole organic milk
- salt and ground black pepper, optional
- heat oven to 350°F.
- in the casserole dish, put potatoes on the bottom. then layer with 1/2 of the cheese, flax meal, green vegetable and tofu. top with another layer of cheese.
- pour milk over top of casserole and cover with aluminum foil.
- bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour.
1. resource – original recipe from Inspired Dreamer: Loaded Baked Potato and Chicken Casserole