this recipe looked yummy so i decided to make it but when i was getting ready to roll them into patties, i saw my cookie cutters and had an inspiration – how about making them into different shapes?
the first one i made were in the shape of mittens. k is allergic to garlic so for her, we did not serve the yogurt garlic dip. for those that were able to enjoy it, it made a cute fluffy mitten cuffs!
- large mixing bowl
- small sauce bowl
- cookie cutter, desired shape
- baking pan
- parchment paper
- 3 lbs sweet potatoes / yams (i used one large orange sweet potato and one yellow oriental yam)
- 1 cup frozen organic GMO free corn kernels
- 1 organic sweet bell pepper, diced
- ⅓ cup organic flax seed meal
- ⅔ cup plain gluten free vegan breadcrumbs
- quinoa flour
- 1 cup organic plain yogurt
- 1 Tbsp garlic paste
- salt and pepper to taste
- wash, poke holes and bake sweet potatoes for 1 hour or until soft.
- when sweet potatoes cooled down, remove peel and put into a large mixing bowl.
- boil corn and strain. add to mixing bowl
- add bell pepper, flax seed meal and bread crumbs into bowl and mix well.
- put in refrigerator for 30 minutes. afterwards, remove mixture from refrigerator.
- preheat oven to 350°F.
- on a large clean surface, i.e. wooden cutting board, spread a thin layer of quinoa flour.
- on the baking pan, put a layer of parchment paper on top.
- scoop out a burger patty-like amount of mixture onto working surface and create shape large than the cookie cutter and around 1/3 inch high. cut out desired shape, lightly coat with quinoa flour and place on parchment paper. repeat.
- bake in oven for 30 minutes on each side.
- in a small bowl, add yogurt and garlic paste. add salt and pepper to taste
- mix well.
serve sweet potato / yam corn cakes with dipping sauce on the side.
1. original recipe from Best Food Book: Sweet Potato Corn Cakes with Garlic Dipping Sauce