i never had any interest in making my own tomato sauce before but since the little one has a garlic allergy, i needed to learn. online i found a flexible recipe that allows you to add any ingredient you choose. it was perfect for those with allergies.
- medium saucepan
- liquid storage container
- 2 large organic tomatoes (or ~ 10 Romas)
- 1 organic red sweet bell peppers, diced fairly small
- 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning – or –
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp thyme
- boil the tomatoes in a medium saucepan until the skins are loose and begin to break away from the flesh.
- remove tomatoes and allow to cool.
- dice the peppers and cook in the tomato broth.
- remove the skin from the tomatoes and then put back in the saucepan and break them down with a spoon.
- cook tomatoes and peppers on medium until it starts to boil.
- add italian seasoning and lower temperature. stir occasionally.
- simmer for an hour or two for the best results,
- sample sauce when it has been heated to see if it needs more seasoning.
i tested out the flavor by topping pasta with my tomato sauce – yum! since the recipe didn’t have any salt or pepper since it was for k, i added some to my taste. it tasted just as good as pre made tomato sauce i buy from the store! i thoroughly enjoyed it. i will be making bigger batches and storing them for future dishes. so far, i have gluten free pasta with cheesy stovetop tomato sauce and eggplant lasagna this week but more is coming soon!
1. resource – original recipe from HubPages: How to Make Pasta Sauce without Onions and Garlic
2. resource – original recipe from The Candid RD: Two Homemade Tomato Sauces; Garlic and Onion Free (low FODMAPs Friday!) – Gina’s Stovetop Tomato Sauce (low FODMAPs)