i tried this recipe last week but didn’t love it bcuz i felt it lacked flavor. looking back at the recipe, i realized i forgot the basil and cheese! i also think the additional stock and pasta water in the original recipe diluted the flavor.
so i tried it again and loved it!
without the additional liquid, the garlic flavor popped. basil was also a key ingredient. it created an awesome mix of flavors! the cheese, however, is completely optional. i liked it with and without. so try it with cheese once and without cheese another time!
- 3 ounces whole wheat spaghetti
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 small red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 6 ounces haricot vertes, cut in half
- 1/2 cup artichoke hearts, quartered
- 1/4 cup slivered fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon grated parmesan or romano cheese
- freshly ground black pepper
- sea salt, to taste
Prepare the pasta al dente according to package directions.
Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil with garlic in a deep, wide nonstick skillet over medium-high heat for 1 minute. Add vegetables and cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes. Add the pasta and the basil to the skillet and toss to combine.
Finally add the cheese and toss. Serve right away. Season with pepper at the table.
original recipe on Women’s Health from The Diabetes DTour Diet: Whole Wheat Pasta with Vegetable