since i wanted to use up ingredients in the fridge, this recipe was perfect. pasta with beans, chicken and veggies. i lowered the chicken from 3 breasts to 1. then i bumped up the veggies, using up the remaining onion and mushrooms. yay!
- 3 oz whole wheat pasta, penne or your favorite shaped pasta
- 1 chicken breast, pounded to 1/4″ thickness
- sea salt and pepper
- 1-1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) cannellini beans, rinsed
- 1/4 cup diced fresh or roasted red pepper
- 1/8 onion, thinly sliced
- 5 cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 6 cups baby spinach leaves
- 1/2 jalapeño, diced, optional
- 3 teaspoon grated parmesan, optional
Cook the pasta according to the package directions.
While the pasta is boiling, season the chicken on each side with a pinch of salt and pepper, and sear it in a skillet over medium-high heat for 3 to 4 minutes a side. Remove from the skillet and set aside. Add the oil, garlic, rosemary, beans, red bell pepper, and spinach to the skillet. Add jalapeño if you want a little spice. Cook, turning frequently, until the spinach wilts (1 to 2 minutes).
Slice the chicken and drain the pasta; toss them with the bean mixture. Spoon the pasta into two bowls and top each with 1 tablespoon of parmesan.
original recipe on Women’s Health from Men’s Health: Tuscan Chicken Pasta