i love pizza. almost exclusively i love tomato based pizza. until now.
when i saw the ingredients for this pizza, it had a lot of flavors i liked so i thought i’d give it a try. i made a few adjustments in ingredients: lowering the chicken but bumping up the vegetables with onions and mushrooms.
it was spectacular! the pesto was a great flavor base and artichoke – what a surprise! – with the rest of the vegetables? the ingredients just married so well together. i had almost half of the pizza that night! you’ve got to give this recipe a try but don’t blame me if you finish the whole pie!
- 1 12″ prebaked pizza shell
- 1/3 cup prepared pesto
- 1/3 cup cooked chicken cut, shredded small strips
- 1 fresh or roasted color bell pepper, cut into small thin strips
- 1/2 cup water-packed canned artichoke hearts, rinsed and drained, patted dry and quartered
- 1/2 cup onions, chopped
- 1 cup cremini mushrooms, thin slices
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded fat free mozzarella cheese
Preheat the oven to 450°F. Place the pizza shell on a baking sheet. (if using uncooked pizza dough, shape the dough and pre-bake the pizza dough and leave out to cool.)
Evenly spread the pesto over the crust. Arrange the chicken, pepper strips, onion, artichokes and mushroom over the pesto. Top with the cheese.
Bake for 10 minutes, or until heated through and the crust is crisp.
original recipe on Women’s Health from Beat the Clock Chicken: Chicken Pesto Pizza