i’ve had lemon chicken before but it never struck a chord with me. for the fun of it, i tried this recipe anyway and i’m really glad i did! i made a few substitutions: instead of olives (not a fav), i used capers – and – instead of carrots (forgot to buy!), i used orange bell pepper. i also lowered the amount of chicken and threw in additional veggies: some celery and enoki mushrooms. all of the ingredients worked really well together.
i also tried a something new! after a health scare, my friends changed their diets to vegan. to make it even more challenging, they are on a no oil-based vegan diet. but they have embraced their new meals and their health has greatly improved because of it. they shared a a cooking tip: instead of oil, substitute it with chicken or vegetable broth.
since this recipe called for vegetable broth, i used their cooking tip. it was perfect – you don’t miss the oil one bit. i’m definitely going to use this tip more often!
- 1 teaspoon olive oil – or –
1 tablespoon low sodium organic chicken or vegetable broth*
- 1/2 pound boneless, skinless free range chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 3-5 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cups onion, chopped
- 1/2 medium carrot, thinly sliced – or –
1/2 cup colored bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup celery, thinly sliced ~optional
- 3 ounces enoki mushroooms ~optional
- 1/2 zest of lemon, grated
- 14-1/2 ounces low sodium organic chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1-2 teaspoons capers
- 1 cup quick-cooking white rice – or –
2 cups precooked white rice
- fresh ground lemon black pepper
- sea salt, to taste
Warm the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When hot, add the chicken and cook for 5 to 10 minutes, or until no longer pink and the juices run clear. During the last few minutes of cooking, add the garlic and onion.
When the chicken is done, stir in the vegetables, lemon zest, broth, parsley, capers and rice. Bring to a boil, then remove from the heat, cover, and let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork before serving.
original recipe on Women’s Health from the Eat Up Slim Down Annual Recipes 2005: Quick Lemon Chicken with Rice
COOKING TIP: No oil diet
* Instead of oil, substitute with low sodium organic chicken or vegetable broth, i.e:
1 tablespoon of olive oil -> 1-2 tablespoons low sodium organic chicken or vegetable broth