to go with my healthier nuggets, i found this herbed quinoa and mango salad recipe while browsing new cookbooks.
this recipe was similar to the herbed quinoa recipe from giada that i made around two years ago. the main difference, it adds a little sweetness with mango.
in addition, i added a hot long green chili pepper instead of the mild long red chili pepper to bump up the spice. yum!
- 8 ounces quinoa
- 2 cups organic low sodium vegetable stock
- 1 mango
- 1 cup pine nuts – or –
1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup handful fresh basil, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 mild long fresh red chilli, seeded and chopped – or –
1 hot long fresh green chilli pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste
Prepare quinoa per package instructions, substituting water for vegetable stock.
Cut mango into bite size chunks.
Toast pine nuts for a few minutes in a dry frying pan until golden brown. Remove from heat.
Transfer cooked quinoa to a bowl and add the mango, herbs and chili. pour the dressing over the quinoa, tossing lightly. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Transfer the salad to a plate. Serve.
original recipe from Vegetarian Cooking: delicious meat-free dishes for every occasion, cookbook by Emma Summer