when searching for recipes with brussels sprouts, it is hard to find one without bacon. at first i skipped them but since there are so few, i started looking recipes with bacon but has other ingredients i like.
so, here is aaron mccargo Jr.’s roasted corn and brussels sprouts dish, done my way! i skipped the bacon and added a little more oil and then to bump up the flavor, i went a different route by adding red chili flakes.
the result is an AMAZING vegetarian meal – crunchy brussels sprouts, sweet corn and soft white beans dressed with fresh flavors of thyme, parsley and lime and a hint of spice. this will definitely be a recipe i will make again and again!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 3 shallots, sliced
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, outer leaves peeled, halved
- 1 (16-ounce) bag frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 1 (15-ounce) can white beans, drained
- 4 plum tomatoes, seeded and finely diced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Pinch salt
- Pinch freshly cracked black pepper
- Squeeze fresh lemon or lime juice
In a cast iron pot in medium-high heat, add the oil. Stir in the garlic, shallots, and Brussels sprouts and cook for 3 minutes. Add the corn kernels and thyme. Toss well and cook covered for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove and put it into a bowl.
Add the white beans, tomatoes, and parsley. Toss well to combine. Season with salt, pepper, and fresh lemon or lime juice, to taste.
Transfer to a serving platter and serve.
original recipe from Big Daddy’s House: Roasted Corn and Brussels Sprouts Succotash