even though two products that cost the same can perform very differently. so it’s helpful to receive tips when comparison shopping:
Comparing Items on Price Alone
Frigidaire Affinity FAFW4011L[W] – vs – Whirlpool WFW9050X[W]
- The Frigidaire Affinity FAFW4011L[W] was only fair at its chief job, getting clothes clean, but it was excellent at both water and energy efficiency.
- Whirlpool WFW9050X[W] was very good at cleaning.
Fisher & Paykel E522B – vs – Whirlpool Gold GX5FHDXV
- Fisher & Paykel E522B bottom freezer was an energy hog and it was only mediocre at holding a constant temperature in all sections.
- Whirlpool Gold GX5FHDXV, a bottom freezer that scored an 82, was excellent at energy efficiency and temperature performance and is a CR Best Buy.
Hoover Zen Whisper SH40080 – vs – Hoover WindTunnel S3670
- Both were excellent at cleaning bare floors, one of a vacuum’s easier tasks.
- The bagless Hoover Zen Whisper SH40080 was only fair at the tougher jobs of cleaning carpet and removing pet hair.
- Hoover WindTunnel S3670, was very good at those tasks.
Buying by Brand Name
Bosch Evolution 500 SHE55M1UC – vs – Bosch Integra 500 SHX45P0UC
- Both were excellent at washing and energy efficiency.
- Bosch Evolution 500 SHE55M1UC costs less.
Kenmore 6952 – vs – Kenmore 8903
- The dryer’s main task -drying performance: Kenmore 6952 was poor and Kenmore 8903 was excellent.
- The 8903 also has a larger capacity and was quieter.
Assuming a Higher-Price Means Better Performance
KitchenAid Architect Series KGRS807S[SS] – vs – KitchenAid KDRS505X[SS]
- KitchenAid KDRS505X[SS], which costs $300 more, was super at simmering while the Architect Series model was not.
- They baked and broiled equally well but the Architect has less usable space.
Dirt Devil Featherlite Bagless M085845 – vs – Dyson DC24 Ball All Floors
- The Dirt Devil Featherlite Bagless M085845 was excellent at picking up pet hair and very good at cleaning carpet.
- The Dyson DC24 Ball All Floors had poor airflow for tools and was only fair at pet hair.
- While the Dyson was quieter and matched the Dirt Devil’s excellent performance on bare floors, cleaning carpets is what separates the two.
Ninja Master Prep Professional QB1004 blender – vs – DeLonghi 3-in1 DFP-950 ($300)
- The Ninja Master Prep Professional QB1004 blender was also excellent at crushing ice cubes and not so noisy.
- The DeLonghi 3-in1 DFP-950 scored poorly on the ice crush and icy drink tests and it was noisier than the Ninja.
Ginsu Chikara – vs – Culinary Institute of America’s Master Collection Hyde Park
- Ginsu Chikara knives were excellent at cutting and the handles were comfortable.
- The knives from the Culinary Institute of America’s Master Collection Hyde Park were very good at cutting and comfort, the handle balance didn’t cut it.
read article on Yahoo! FInance by Mary H.J. Farrell from Consumer Reports: Three Money-Wasting Mistakes Shoppers Make