after catching a movie at union square, a few of us walked to the kimchi taco truck that was parked on astor place. since it was our first time trying it out, we went for the 3-tacos combo for a mere $7 that are topped with asian pico de gallo, fresh kimchi, green onion on toasted corn tortilla:
- Grilled Korean BBQ Beef – Kimchi Taco’s Signature Marinade
- Seared Pork – Korean Spiced Pork Tenderloin marinated with Red Pepper Paste
- Pulled Chicken – Slow Cooked Shredded Chicken lightly sautéed with Red Wine Soy Sauce Reduction
in addition, we got 2 sides with healthy portions for just $3 – $4:
- Spicy Rice Cakes – Grilled Rice Cake dipped in Korean Red Pepper Glaze and topped with Queso Blanco and Green Onions
- BBQ Nachos – Korean Marinated BBQ Beef & Spicy Pork with Kimchi, Queso Blanco, Pico de Gallo, Green Onion and Chip
i love authentic korean food but it was fun to try it with different flavor. between the three of us, we each had a taco – i had the pork. the flavor was nice and the kimchi was a nice touch. personally, i’m not a big fan of corn tortilla bcuz it is a bit crumbly so if i had to change it, i would have it with flour tortilla. the rice cakes were different with the addition of cheese. my favorite was the BBQ nachos – the flavors just mixed so well together!
since the flavors probably are meant to appeal to the masses, the kimchi and sauces aren’t anywhere near as the spicy as i love from authentic korean food but i still enjoyed their creative mixture. i look forward to trying the kimchi bowl and kim-cheeseseak so i’ll be on the lookout for the kimchi taco truck!