i’ve never made brussels sprouts before but i have had them before and besides tasty, they sure are cute!
so when i saw rachael ray make a chicken caesar salad with brussels sprouts, i decided to give it a try and i’m glad i did! the brussels sprout gives a different texture to the regular leafy greens which i enjoy.
in addition, brussels sprouts punch a healthy punch – similar to broccoli, it also has a chemical believed to have potent anti-cancer properties. so, caesar salad with a healthier green. yum!
For the chicken
- 3 small pieces boneless, skinless chicken breast
- drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
- juice of 2 lemons, divided
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped – or –
1-1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- sea salt and pepper
For the greens and dressing
- 2 pints large brussels sprouts, about 2 pounds
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 2-5 cloves garlic, peeled and grated or pasted
- 1-1/2 teaspoons anchovy paste – or –
2 anchovies, mashed
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- grated Pecorino Romano cheese or Parmesan cheese
Marinate chicken in enough olive oil to coat, the juice of 1 lemon, thyme, salt and pepper. Marinate about 1/2 hour.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
Using a small, sharp knife, core the Brussels sprouts and separate leaves. Salt water and add all of the baby cabbage leaves to pot – you should have at least 6 cups loosely packed. Count to 30 then drain and cold shock the leaves; drain again.
Heat a grill pan and grill the chicken about 12 minutes, turning occasionally.
Combine the juice of remaining lemon, grated or pasted garlic, anchovy, Worcestershire, lots of black pepper and about 1/4 cup of olive oil to a bowl and whisk to make dressing. Add a small handful of cheese once dressing is emulsified.
Toss Brussels greens with dressing. Serve on plates topped with sliced grilled chicken. Add breadcrumbs, if desired.
original recipe from Rachael Ray Show: Grilled Chicken Caesar Salad with Brussels Sprouts