i love m’s chicken & vegetable soup and since it’s winter, we have it often! m often adds different ingredients to spruce it up but today it went in a different direction! so here’s m’s new chicken soup with an added tomato base. i still like m’s chicken & vegetable soup best but this is my second favorite!
- 3 to 4 chicken thighs with bone ~ remove skin for light, low fat soup
- 1 large daikon radish, peeled and cut into chunks
- 6 carrots peeled and cut in chunks
- 6 celery stalks cut in half
- 2 large onions cut into quarters
- 3 tomatoes, cut into quarters
- 10 cremini mushrooms, cut into quarters
- 6 half corn-on-the-cob (frozen)
- 2 cups tomato sauce
Fill a large soup pot filled 2/3 with water and bring to a boil (in medium high heat). After water boils, add turnip, carrots and chicken. Stir ingredients together periodically and let cook for 1/2 hour. Add rest of the vegetables. Bring back to a boil.
Add tomato soup to the pot and mix. Continue to stir periodically. After the soup boils, lower to medium low heat and cover the pot. Allow soup to cook for another hour.
Add sea salt and/or hot sauce to taste. Serve with rice or toast.