it is almost spring and that’s a relief! a fresh way to welcome the spring is by spring cleaning – and it also applies to the kitchen. so here are some tips from Real Simple to make our kitchen as spring fresh as the rest of the house!
Every Day Kitchen Duties
- Wipe down the sink after doing the dishes or loading the dishwasher (30 seconds).
- Wipe down the stove top (one minute).
- Wipe down the counters (one minute).
- Sweep, Swiffer, or vacuum the floor (two minutes).
- Mop the floor (five minutes).
- Wipe the cabinets, backsplashes, and appliances (10 minutes).
- Wash the dish rack (four minutes).
- Wipe the switch plates and phone (one minute).
- Wipe the inside of the garbage can (one minute).
- Empty and scrub down the inside of the refrigerator (30 minutes).
- Empty and clean the insides of the utensil drawers (15 minutes).
- Scrub down the cupboard exteriors (30 minutes).
- Clean the stove-hood filter (10 minutes).
- Perform “Shiny Sink 101”. (See Below)
Keep extra garbage bags (or a whole roll) at the bottom of your trash can and never again have to retrieve an apple core from a bagless bin.
Let It Shine
Streak-free stainless-steel surfaces are the Holy Grail of kitchen cleaning. Caldrea’s olive oil–based Stainless Steel Spray promises to reduce fingerprints.
Shiny Sink 101
- Fill sink to the rim with very hot water; add one cup regular bleach. Soak for one hour.
- Drain and rinse thoroughly.
- Scrub with Ajax, Bon Ami, or baking soda.
- Be sure to rinse thoroughly.
- Shine with Windex or another glass-cleaning spray. Dry thoroughly.
Cleaning Kitchen Odds and Ends
The quickest way to clean and disinfect these supplies is to put them in the dishwasher.
- Burner grids and knobs
- Brushes and combs
- Plastic utensil organizer
- Refrigerator drawers
- Drain catch
- Dish rack
- Plastic toys (use discretion)
Cleaning Supplies to Keep in the Kitchen
- Clorox Disinfecting Wipes for all hard, nonwood surfaces.
- Windex Glass and Surface Wipes: for windows and chrome.
- Microfiber cloths and mops: For cleaning all surfaces. Especially effective for polishing stainless steel.
- Ajax, Bon Ami, or baking soda.
- Clorox ReadyMop: Wash the floor without a bucket. Works on most surfaces.
- Broom, Swiffer or handheld vacuum: for crumb busting.
read article from Real Simple: How to Speed-Clean Your Kitchen