i am enjoying trying various dishes with watercress. here is another watercress salad with some of my favorite flavors – avocado and ham.
the original recipe has crispy bacon. as you know, i’m not a fan of bacon so i chose prosciutto. you can make the prosciutto crispy but i like prosciutto thin and chewy. i also added some colored bell peppers to the salad for some more crunch and vitamins.
it’s such a light and refreshing salad – and even better, it’s good for ya!
- ham: 4 slices bacon or 2 slices prosciutto
- 3 small avocados, diced
- 1/2 bunch watercress
- 1 yellow pepper, sliced
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
In a salad bowl, toss the watercress, the avocado and pepper. Slice ham and place (or scatter crunchy prosciutto pieces – see optional preparation below) over the top. Drizzle with the lemon juice and olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
If you would like to make the prosciutto crunchy:
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- For bacon: lay the bacon in a saute pan and bake for 15 minutes, until crispy.
For prosciutto: lay the prosciutto in a saute pan and bake for 5 minutes, until crispy.
- Transfer the ham to a plate lined with paper towels and let it drain for a couple of minutes.
original recipe from Tyler’s Ultimate: Avocado Salad with Lemon, Bacon and Watercress