this is a sweet salad is so tasty. in the original recipe, you heat the vinegar with sugar to melt the sugar, then soften the cucumber and onions first. but i like the veggies fresh and crisp so i just stirred and marinated, simplifying the preparation without compromising the taste.
it is a relish that is perfect with the cerveza-battered fish taco but can be a great side salad. give it a try!
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 small red onion, medium dice
- 1 small Vidalia onion, medium dice
- 1 english cucumber, medium dice
- 1 habanero or jalapeno chile, seeds removed, minced
- 1 large plum tomato, diced
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped parsley leaves
In a medium bowl, mix vinegar and sugar. Add onions, cucumber, chile, tomato and parsley. Allow to marinate for 30 minutes to 1 hour. Mix again before serving.
original recipe from Cooking for Real: Cerveza-Battered Fish Tacos with Quick-Pickled Onion and Cucumber