for the … fifth … of july, h&n hosted a bbq at their new place. they had a good sized patio, which had plenty of room for an outdoor grill.
so n prepped up a storm: cutting up watermelon, washing cherries, buttering the bread, choosing sweet corn, blending a fruit smoothie, serving a bubbly drink … but the highlight was the grilled chicken and veggie kabob! so, here’s the recipe for the awesome veggie kabobs (don’t worry, i got the grilled chicken recipe)!
it was a beautiful day for a freedom, especially one with such awesome food as we had today!
For the marinade
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup lemon or lime juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
For the kabobs
- 2 medium red or white potatoes
- 1 cup firm or extra-firm tofu chunks
- 1 cup red, yellow or green bell pepper chunks
- 1 cup pineapple chunks
- 1 cup red onion chunks
- 1 cup white button mushrooms
- 1 cup zucchini or yellow squash chunks
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- Wooden skewers, soaked in water for 30 minutes
For the marinade: whisk together all ingredients in a small bowl. The marinade can be prepared in advance and held covered in the refrigerator for up to 7 days. Set aside.
For the vegetables: cook potatoes in salted water until fork tender; let cool and cut into 1-inch chunks. Place potatoes and the vegetables in a shallow dish or container. Pour marinade over vegetables. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
Preheat an outdoor grill to medium heat.
Remove vegetables from the marinade, reserving marinade. Thread vegetables onto skewers, alternating colors. Cook skewers on grill until vegetables are lightly charred all over, about 10 minutes, basting with reserved marinade and turning occasionally.
original recipe from BBQ with Bobby Flay courtesy of VegNews Magazine: Veggie Kabobs with Herb and Garlic Marinade