an abundance of flavorful vegetables with a little bit of pasta. orzo with chickpeas, artichoke hearts, tomato and spinach. as if that wasn’t enough, i also added sliced button mushrooms and corn kernels.
it is healthy and yummy – cool!
- 1/2 cup orzo or other tiny pasta
- 1-1/2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed and peeled
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1-1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 (7-ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 (6-ounce) jar sliced button mushrooms
- 1 (10-ounce) can unsalted corn kernel
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill – or –
1 tablespoon dried dill
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 plum tomato, sliced
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves
Bring a small saucepan of water to a boil. Boil the mushroom and corn for a few minutes until they are cooked. Drain the water into another saucepan and set aside veggies to cool. Cook orzo with the water in the second saucepan until just tender, about 9 minutes, or according to package directions. Rinse under cold water until cool. Transfer to a medium bowl and toss with oil.
Mash garlic and salt into a paste with the back of a spoon in a medium bowl. Whisk in lemon juice and pepper. Add the cooked orzo, mushroom and corn with artichokes, chickpeas, dill and parsley; toss gently to combine.
Divide spinach between 2 plates, add several spoonfuls of salad and top with a few slices of tomatoes.
original recipe from EatingWell.com: Orzo Salad with Chickpeas and Artichoke Hearts