sun-dried tomatoes, garlic and basil – it’s the flavors of a pizza without the dough! the flavors with orzo and quinoa is really great. it’s a tasty and aromatic. yum!
for cheese lovers, you can add 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese when you add the basil but for the lactose intolerant, you can skip it. i really enjoyed it without the cheese. give this a try!
- 10 sun-dried tomatoes, packed in olive oil finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons from the sun-dried tomatoes packed in olive oil
- 3/4 cup quinoa, thoroughly rinsed
- 1-1/4 cups orzo
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup chiffonade of basil
Heat olive oil in a medium size saucepan. Add quinoa, stirring constantly, until quinoa turns golden, about 1 minute. Add orzo, garlic and sun-dried tomatoes. Continue to saute for 20 seconds until you smell their aroma. Add broth, bring to simmer. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 12 minutes or until barely done. Add cheese, if desired.
Season with pepper, stir in basil and remove from heat.
original recipe from Food Network – courtesy of Michele Urvater: Speckled Quinoa and Orzo