i found this recipe by ina garten for a crab strudel and it looked really interesting. but since puff pastry isn’t very healthy, i thought i’d just make the crab salad. i’m glad i did!
the curry kick in the crab salad was wonderful and the salad over crackers gives a nice crunch. it’s a great appetizer so give it a try!
- 2 tablespoons unsalted margarine from a tub – or –
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 pound lump crabmeat, drained and picked to remove shells
- 1 tablespoon fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 18 unsalted multigrain or whole wheat crackers – or –
8 pieces of toasted semolina or hero bread
Heat 2 tablespoons margarine in a medium saute pan, add the scallions and garlic and cook over medium-low heat until the scallions are soft, approximately 5 minutes. Add the curry powder and stir.
Shred the crabmeat into a bowl and mix with the parsley, lime juice, salt, to taste, and pepper. Add the crabmeat to the scallion mixture.
Enjoy over unsalted crackers or toasted bread.
original recipe from Barefoot Contessa: Crab Strudel