we all heard of chicken or seafood pot pies with puff pastry on top but what a creative idea to make pizza pot pies with pizza dough on top! you can be creative with your stuffing, anything that you would like on your slice. i personally like vegetarian: broccoli, mushrooms, peppers, onion … yum! this is awesome!
For tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 head garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh minced rosemary leaves
- 2 teaspoons fresh minced oregano
- 2 (26-ounce) jars of crushed tomatoes
For pizza pot pies
- 6 cups Tomato Sauce (recipe above) – or –
2 (26-ounce) jar of low sodium marinara sauce
- 4 cups broccoli cut into small, bite-sized pieces
- 2 cups cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 cup color bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup onions, chopped
- 3 cups diced mozzarella cheese
- 1 pound pizza dough
- crushed red pepper, optional
- 2 (1 quart) oval baking dish
For the Tomato Sauce: Warm the olive oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic, rosemary, and oregano. Saute for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the tomatoes, stir to combine, and simmer over very low heat for 15 minutes. Add the salt and pepper. Set aside.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
In a large bowl combine the Tomato Sauce, vegetables, mozzarella, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine and split mixture evenly into 2 oval baking dishes. Cut pizza dough in half and roll out the pizza dough to the shape of the baking dish. Place dough above mixture on each baking dish. Cut a small slit in the top of the pizza dough with a pairing knife on each baking dish. Bake the pies until the pizza crusts are golden, about 25 minutes each. Remove them from the oven and let cool slightly before serving.
Sprinkle with crushed red chili peppers, if desired.
original recipe from Everyday Italian: Pizza Pot Pies