i love chili. it’s so rich and hearty and comforting. since i’m not a big meat eater, i love finding vegetarian chili recipes. i love adding pasta to chili because it makes it a complete meal so when i saw rachael ray made this vegetable chili mac on her tv show last week, i have been looking forward to making it.
now poblano peppers are considered a mild peppers but i just learned that poblano peppers are sometimes unpredictable so it may be pretty spicy! another thing i learned is that when dried, they are ancho chile. be careful when you handle the peppers. treat it like you would with other spicy peppers. wear gloves and keep your hands away from your eyes.
anyhoo, i picked some pretty spicy poblano peppers at the market so my first try at this vegetable chili pasta recipe was spicier than expected! if you’re making this dish for kids, you may want to use regular bell peppers instead of the poblano peppers to be safe. either way, this is a great flavorful healthy vegetarian dish that has everything i look forward in chili — it is delicious. enjoy!
- 4 medium or 6 small poblano peppers (hot) – or –
4 large colored bell peppers (mild), chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 head garlic, finely chopped
- 1 (26-ounce) can pinto or black beans, drained
- ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons coriander
- 2 tablespoons smoked sweet paprika
- 2 tablespoons ancho (mild) or chipotle (hot) chili powder
- 1 cup Negra Modela or other Mexican beer – or –
1 (14-1/2 ounce) can low sodium vegetable stock
- 2 (28-ounce) cans fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1-1/2 pounds whole wheat macaroni, elbow pasta with lines or shells
- 1 cup smoked cheddar cheese, shredded, optional
- 1 cup pepper jack cheese, shredded, optional
- 3 scallions, finely chopped, optional
Place peppers on a broiler pan and blacken the skins of the peppers all over. Place blackened peppers in a bowl and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Cool to handle (if you are using poblano peppers, put on gloves to handle). Chop them, put them in a bowl and set aside (if using poblano peppers, remove gloves and discard).
Bring a large pot of water to a boil for pasta.
Heat a heavy pot over medium-high heat with extra virgin olive oil. Add onions and garlic, and soften 5 minutes. Add chopped peppers and beans to the pot. Season with pepper, cumin, coriander, paprika and chili powder. Stir to combine. Add beer or stock and crushed tomatoes. Reduce heat to simmer.
Cook pasta to al dente, drain and toss with veggie chili. Enjoy!
- If adding cheese, place in a casserole dish and top with both cheeses. Place under broiler to melt to brown cheese.
- Garnish with scallions and serve.
original recipe from Rachael Ray Show: Vegetable Chili Mac