i’m excited to try a new pesto recipe so here’s a nice recipe with roasted garlic, roasted tomatoes and basil or parsley. the sauce with wheat pasta is a wonderful mixture and pairs so well with the garlic oil flavored fish. yum!
- 20 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 cup olive oil, plus extra for tomatoes
- 1 pound cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1 cup packed basil leaves or flat leaf parsley
- 1 pound whole wheat linguine, capellini or angel hair pasta
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan, optional
- 1-1/4 pounds large shrimp, shelled and deveined, scallops or tilapia fillets
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts, optional
- sea salt and pepper, to taste
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Place garlic cloves in a single layer in a small baking dish. Add 1/2 cup olive oil to cover cloves, cover with foil, and bake 45 minutes, until golden brown and fork-tender. Meanwhile, in another baking dish, toss tomatoes with enough oil to coat. Roast at same temperature until tomatoes blister, about 25 minutes.
Strain garlic cloves and set aside in a small bowl, reserving infused oil separately. In a blender, add the roasted tomatoes with its oil, roasted garlic, Parmesan (if desired), and basil. Pulse until combined. Remove to a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and reserve.
Cook pasta as instructed in package until al dente. Drain.
Meanwhile, heat a saute pan over medium-high heat. Add 2 tablespoons of the garlic oil. Season the seafood with salt and pepper and saute until it is cooked through.
In a large bowl add the pasta and some of the pesto. Toss to coat and top with the seafood. Garnish with toasted pine nuts, if desired, and serve.
Cook’s Note: There will be leftover pesto.
original recipe from Cooking for Real: Shrimp with Roasted Garlic Pesto Pasta