since i had some leftover bulgur from making the herbed bulgur-lentil pilaf i made a few days ago, i decided to go mediterranean today and have one of the favorites: tabbouleh!
the aroma from the herbs, the lightness of the lemon and the crunchiness of the cucumber and nuts … mixed together, they create an abundance of flavors so good that you’ll barely notice how healthy this dish is for you!
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup bulgur
- 2 handfuls pine nuts or slivered almonds
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped mint leaves – or –
1/4 teaspoon dried mint leaves crushed
- 1/2 cup freshly chopped flat leaf parsley
- 4 scallions, whites and greens, chopped
- 1 seedless cucumber, peeled and chopped
- 1 plum tomato, seeded and chopped
- sea salt and pepper, to taste
In a small pot add the water and bring to a boil over medium heat. Pour the bulgur into a bowl, douse it with the boiling water and let stand 15 minutes.
Put the nuts in small skillet over low heat and lightly toast. Remove from the heat and let cool.
In a salad bowl, combine the cumin, zest and juice of 1 lemon and whisk in the extra-virgin olive oil. Add the bulgur, herbs, scallions, tomatoes, cucumber and salt, to taste. Toss together, let stand a few minutes, adjust seasoning and toss again before serving.
original recipe from 30 Minute Meals: Tabbouleh Salad with Nuts