have you ever notice that when you are in the airport, there is always a mexican restaurant? with heightened security, you have to get to the airport earlier and earlier. so what better way to pass time waiting for your flight than snacking on some quesadillas? it is always so good!
but quesadillas are not just good at the airports. it is a yummy snack or small meal. they are not only tasty but also so easy and quick to make.
anyhoo, here’s a fun spicy vegetarian quesadilla recipe that i know i’ll enjoy for tonight’s dinner.
- 1 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1-1/2 cup corn kernels, (about 2 ears or frozen)
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 1-1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1-1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 (6-inch) flour tortillas ~ try Tumaro’s Gourmet Tortillas – Healthy Flour Tortillas, 95% fat free
- 1 (16-ounce) can refried black beans
- 2 cups grated pepper jack cheese or monterey jack jalapeño
In a large skillet, saute red pepper and onion until soft, about 5 minutes. Add corn, red pepper flakes, cumin, corriander, salt and pepper to taste. Toss to incorporate and saute for 3 minutes.
To heat quesadilla you can preheat a long, 2-burner cast iron griddle, preheat an indoor grill in medium high heat, heat a large saute pan over medium heat or use a toaster oven.
Spread each of the 4 tortillas with 1/4 can of refried beans. Place 2 tortillas, bean side up, on your chosen heating device. Heat for a few minutes. Sprinkle half of the vegetable mixture evenly over the top of each, then sprinkle evenly with the cheese. Cover both tortillas with another tortilla coated with refried black beans. Cook until cheese melts, about 4 minutes. Flip quesadillas to toast the other side.
Slice each quesadilla into 8 wedges. Serve with guacamole, salsa, sour cream or any other topping of your choice.
original recipe from Cooking for Real: Southwest Quesadilla with Cilantro-Lime Sour Cream
* try a another quesadilla recipe i made: healthy chicken quesadilla