i had creamy cauliflower puree at a restaurant a few months ago. while it was tasty, i would have liked a little of the cauliflower texture to it. so i played with this recipe and instead of pureeing it, i’m going to mash it so you can see and feel the texture of the tiny cauliflower florets. enjoy!
- 8 cups bite-size cauliflower florets (about 1 head)
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed and peeled
- 1/3 cup buttermilk or lactose-free soy milk
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon margarine from a tub
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- snipped fresh chives for garnish, optional
Place cauliflower florets and garlic in a steamer basket over boiling water, cover and steam until very tender, 12 to 15 minutes.
Transfer cooked cauliflower and garlic in a large mixing bowl. Add buttermilk, 2 teaspoons oil, margarine, salt and pepper. Mash with a potato masher until desired consistency. If you want a finer consistency, use a food processor and puree until smooth and creamy.
Transfer to a serving bowl. Garnish with chives, if desired. Serve hot.
original recipe from FoodNetwork.com – courtesy of EatingWell.com: Creamy Cauliflower Puree