i was looking for a healthy apple brown betty recipe to make for my parents and came across ellie krieger. while i never watch ellie before, i’m glad that Food Network has a chef who “specializes” in healthy cooking. her recipes seem simpler, with much less butter and cream, yet still tasty. try it out!
- 5 large Golden Delicious apples (about 2 pounds), peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cup apple cider
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1-1/2 cup whole-wheat bread crumbs (approximate 1 to 2 slices whole-wheat bread) or 1 cup of Fiber One cereal (unsweetened)
- 3 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 3 tablespoons oats
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Combine apples, apple cider, 1 tablespoon brown sugar, vanilla, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until apples are tender but not mushy, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and transfer apple mixture to a 9-inch glass pie plate.
If using bread, place in food processor and process until crumbs are formed, about 15 seconds. Toss crumbs with oil, walnuts, oats, flaxseed, remaining 2 tablespoons brown sugar and remaining 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon.
Scatter half of crumb mixture on top of apples and bake for 20 minutes. Top rest of crumb mixture on top of apples and bake for another 20 minutes or until topping is crisped and lightly browned.
original recipe from Healthy Appetite with Ellie Krieger: Apple Brown Betty