i made this for my family this summer and it was amazing. so i made this again for lunch today. love it!
- 1/2 pound very fresh tuna steak, 1-inch thick
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 lime, zest grated
- 1-1/2 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice (1 lime)
- 1/2 teaspoon wasabi powder
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 3 dashes hot sauce (recommended: Tabasco)
- 1 small firm, ripe Hass avocado, diced
- 1/2 small red onion, chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon minced scallion, white and green parts
- 1/2 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- 4 wheat hot dog rolls, grilled or toasted ~ try Trader Joe’s Whole Wheat Hot Dog Buns
- 1 bunch baby arugula, washed and spun dry
Heat a charcoal grill with hot coals and rush the grill with oil or heat up indoor grill. If you don’t want to grill, you can also use a dry saute pan over high heat.
Brush both sides of the tuna with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Cook the tuna over the hot coals for about 1 to 2 minutes on each side. Remove to a plate. (The result of the tuna is seared on the outside and raw inside. You can cook for an additional minute on each side if you do not want any pink inside.) Allow to cool and cut into cubes.
For the dressing, whisk together 1 tablespoons of olive oil, the lime zest, lime juice, wasabi powder, soy sauce, hot sauce, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in a small bowl. Toss the avocado in the dressing and then add the tuna, red onion, scallion, and sesame seeds.
Line the rolls with arugula leaves, fill with the tuna mixture, and serve.
original recipe from Barefoot Contessa: Grilled Tuna Rolls