i love street fairs. when i am there or when i think about them, i think of sausage, peppers and onions. YUM! i almost always can’t resist! so, here’s my dinner tonight as if i’m going to a street fair with all the flavors but without the crowd!
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 (3-ounce) sweet Italian turkey sausage ~ try Applegate Farms Certified Organic Sweet Italian (skinless) sausage
- 1 red bell peppers, sliced
- 1 yellow onions, sliced
- 1/3 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes *optional
- 2 fresh Italian sandwich rolls ~ try Trader Joe’s Whole Wheat Hot Dog Buns
Heat the oil in a heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add the sausages and cook until brown on both sides, about 7 to 10 minutes. Remove from the pan and drain.
Keeping the pan over medium heat, add the peppers, onions, salt, and pepper and cook until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add the oregano, basil, garlic and red pepper flakes, if desired. Cook 2 more minutes.
Lightly grill or toast bread. Place sausage in the middle of the roll. Top with onion and peppers. Serve immediately.
original recipe from Everyday Italian: Sausage, Peppers, and Onions