never had a carrot and pear salad before. weird to have salad without some greens. but this salad was sweet from the pear, crunchy from the slivers of carrots and with zippy from the curry powder. fun!
For the salad
- 1-1/2 pound large carrots, trimmed and peeled (about 8 carrots)
- 2 firm pears (recommended: D’Anjou)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
For the dressing
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
Using a vegetable peeler cut the carrots lengthwise into thin ribbons or slices. Quarter, core, and stem the pears. Using a knife, slice into very thin strips. Place the carrot and pear slices in a large bowl with the chopped parsley.
In a blender add vinegar, curry powder, maple syrup, salt and pepper. Blend to combine. With the machine running add the olive oil. Pour the dressing over the carrots and pears. Toss to combine and serve immediately.
original recipe from Everyday Italian: Shaved Carrot and Pear Salad with Curry Vinaigrette