when i want to eat something decadent, i don’t want to know how make it. one of the things i’ll buy and never make myself is puff pastry sheets. they are simply delicious so i completely turn a blind-eye to the fact it’s really just layers of butter.
anyhoo, here’s a simple recipe to add a little decadent carb on your plate: savory puff pastry twists. robin miller made it with sun dried tomato pesto but i couldn’t find it at the supermarket so i just used pesto paste. just as delicious!
- 1 (of 2 in package) frozen puff pastry sheets ~ Pepperidge Farm makes a good one!
- 1/4 cup prepared pesto paste or sun-dried tomato pesto
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan
- marinara sauce for dipping *optional ~ my favorite is Francesco Rinaldi No Salt Added -or- try Trader Giotto’s (Trader Joe’s) Organic Marinara Sauce – No Salt Added & Low Fat
- crushed red pepper flakes *optional
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Roll puff pastry into a 12 by 15-inch rectangle. Spread pesto evenly over pastry, to within 1/8-inch of the edges. Fold dough in half lengthwise. Roll dough out again into a 12 by 5-inch rectangle. Sprinkle Parmesan over new rectangle.
Cut dough crosswise into 1/2-inch thick strips. Twist each strip into a corkscrew. Arrange twists on a large baking sheet and press down ends to prevent unrolling.
Bake 10 minutes, until puffed up and golden brown.
Serve with marina sauce and crushed red pepper flakes for additional flavor.
original recipe from Quick Fix Meals: Puff Pastry Twists with Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto
* try a sweet version of pastry twists i tried: cinnamon twists with cardamom-honey dipping sauce